PCT Day 2 – Lake Morena
11 miles, Near 22.4
• We slept in and I didn’t feel bad about it. I purposely planned these first few days to be pretty low mileage. Our camp mates were up before 530am, packed and ready to hike. We slept in til 8 and started hiking around 9.
• We hiked around 9 miles and wandered into lake morena and down the road to a PCT mainstay for a milkshake and snacks.
• Met some more interesting and friendly hikers. We are looking forward to meeting more people and developing a “trail family” to hike with… I think it’s just going to come with time.
• Had some cold drinks back at the campground and took a shower
• Another nice sunset
• Our first big uphill was 4 miles of exposed trail under the midday sun.
• Moments of chafing
• The lady at the malt shop was less than happy/engaging. Carie felt she was a little skimp on the root beer in her float.
• Melted part of the jet boil while I was trying to boil a non-jet boil pot. Still functions correctly, but doesn’t fit well into the mess kit now when I pack it up.
• We are constantly dealing with dirt and sand. It’s the desert, so we’re always sitting in it and camping in it and its hard to avoid.
• Avocados still aren’t ripe
View this post on Instagram
Easing our way into this hike with some shorter mile days, a good morning on the trail and a long afternoon break in Lake Morena. 1. Morena Reservoir 2. Morena Butte 3. Getting a shake at the malt shop 4. How some people get around town 5. Hiking in the evening to make a few more miles 6. I think I could get used to these sunsets 🤩