PCT Day 7 – Julian
17.3 miles, near 77.0
• Woke up today feeling like I got no winks, it was very windy last night. Our tent was convulsing with the gusts, hard to sleep through that. I feel like there’s got to be a tighter setup than what we’ve achieved so far.
• Couldn’t figure out why there are so many big mosquitoes/may flies at camp, then I looked down and the grass was moving with all of them breeding and buzzing around.
• I wore my broken glasses in the morning, super glued them at lunch, then they broke again in the afternoon. I put them in my pack, then found the other side broke sometime in the evening, so now I have a pair of lenses and 2 broken arm pieces.
• My friend Brian on our bike trip would always list the song of the day stuck in his head. Today for me it was the Kirby theme from super smash bros.
• After a pretty full day of hiking, we reached a highway junction called Scissors Crossing. This is where people recommend you get a hitch west 12 miles to the town of Julian. They have a bunch of bakeries, a brewery, and other good food. PCT hikers get a free slice of pie a la mode at “Mom’s”, so the siren song was irresistible. We were able to get a hitch in the first 5 minutes from a nice man and his dog. Windows down and country music blaring. I don’t think I’ve ever hitch hiked before, worth it for the pie.
• We met a couple other hikers at the brewery and talked for a while. Best moment of the night was when the owners dog arrived and was doing laps between us on the front porch, his whole butt wiggling with excitement.
• We pitched our tent on the grass behind the market/deli for free, we’re sharing the space with 2 other hikers.
View this post on Instagram
A big day full of desert views and small mountain towns. 1-3. Morning views 4. Umbrella man 5. Desert flowers in bloom 6. Hiking down to the highway 7. We got a hitch from a local into the town of Julian, apparently a place that can sustain at least 2 dedicated pie shops and a handful of other bakeries. 8. Carie and Bodger 9. PCT hikers get a free slice of pie and a drink when they show their thru hiker permit (no gluten free option for Carie, so I got her slice 😉) 10. Finding our way back to camp after the brewery More thoughts on the blog, check it out via link in our bio (tandempix.blog)