PCT Day 43 – Bouquet Canyon
7.4 miles, near 464.0
• We took our typical time to pack up in the morning. We stopped at the post office and got McDonald’s. Bradley’s friend Dylan drove us back to the trail head, so we were back on the trail hiking around noon.
• We passed a group of hikers all snuggled in the shade taking a siesta. Guessing this will become more common for all of us soon.
• A swarm of bees whizzed passed us while we were climbing, riding the breeze. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I could hear it coming, pretty unnerving.
• I got my own bag of cheddar and sour cream ruffles for this section. Any bets on how long it will last?
• We hiked until we reached a piped spring. We packed out beers and cooled them down with the water. Not as chilly as we hoped, but it’ll do.
• Since we had a late start, we had to hike past sunset before we reached our camp. It was a beautiful sunset, but the closest camp spots were taken once we got there. We had to hike a little up the trail and make do with a rough spot.
• We cooked with our headlamps and gazed at the stars. We exchanged headlamp Morse code with hikers way above us on the ridge.
• Once in our tent, I heard a hiker night hiking by at 1045pm just before I turned over to sleep. We haven’t tried true night hiking yet, I’m not totally convinced it’s a good idea, especially because you miss all the views.