PCT Day 91 – Wasco Lake
10.1 miles, near 2010.9
• Woke up and walked over to the breakfast room. They had really good coffee, better than the coffee shop yesterday, IMHO. They also had “voodoo” style donuts, like a long john with a strip of bacon on top, or a butterfinger donut with crushed candy bar on top. Pretty decadent and doughy.
• We packed up and checked out on time at 11am. We didn’t really have any plans for the day, just killing time until we could get a ride back to the trailhead from yardsale’s friend around 4pm. We started walking towards downtown and happened to pass a gear shop advertising darn tough socks. I just washed both my hole-y socks yesterday, so they are clean and ready for a lifetime warranty trade in. I picked up 2 new pairs, then we walked to the park by the river downtown.
• We hung out in the shade for an hour, watching the ducks dive for food, sticking their butts straight in the air, looking like derps.
• A fellow hiker walked past while we were lounging, she mentioned a good pizza place for lunch. We walked that way and decided to split a 20” mushroom pizza between the 4 of us. We thought about packing out a slice each for later, but they didn’t last. We also thought about not drinking beer, because we had plenty this weekend, but ended up getting a pint anyways. Too tempting to pass up right before we head back to the wilderness for 5 days.
• Yardsale’s friend picked us up at the restaurant in her Honda Fit. We managed to stuff all 4 packs in the trunk. Boys in the back while the girls caught up with each other. I tried nodding off but didn’t have a good position to nap. Took us 45 min to make it up the mountain. We gave our driver the bottle of wine from yesterday that we never opened, along with some bonus pizza slices we were given at the pizza place.
• It’s a good 10 miles before we hit water, so the plan was to hike until dark and we would probably make it. I packed 2 liters on top the full food resupply, making it a very heavy load.
• We passed a group of hikers, kind of a mix of young kids and older couples. One lady said “hey y’all” as she passed, it looked like Dixie to me, she’s a backpacking YouTuber, on the PCT this year completing some fire closures sections from 2017. I don’t know if this was one of the sections, or why she’d be going SoBo, I’ll have to check her channel.
• We made it to the pond we were aiming for around sunset, but there were no tent spots. A bunch of people already camped out, we got water and hiked forward. Fortunately, we only had to go another quarter mile before finding a spot to stop for the night.